Guy, the tool you are waiting for is finally available and now you can jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.10 b1. This outcome is the great work by three teams including pod2g, Chronic Dev-team and iPhone Dev-team. Of course we have been using the tethered jailbreak for months already waiting for this release. If you didn’t upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 yet, you can start do it now.
Quick note from developers:
- If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW! Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
- If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
- Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.
Note: iPhone 4S and iPad 2 can’t be untethred jailbreak.
Supported devices are:
- iPhone 4 (GSM – CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod touch 4G
- iPod touch 3G
- iPad 1
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.10 for Mac and Windows (For Windows, you must be in admin mode)
- Download iOS 5.0.1 for you iDevices from here
- Download iTunes. You can visit Apple site for the lastest version
Now you can follow the following steps to untethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1:
Step 1: If you don’t have iOS 5.0.1 installed yet, you can do it now by connecting it to PC and restore it with iTunes
Step 2: Start the Redsn0w (downloaded above) then press “Jailbreak”.
Step 3: Now select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”. Note that in this step, you can optimize your iPhone as will wish with other options but you should know what you are doing before selecting anything. If you don’t want to risk, you can follow the step 4.
Step 4: Now the installation will lead you to a new page with instruction to enter DFU mode. You need to be sure about what you are doing in this step so follow this guide.
Before click “Next” make sure that your device is OFF and PLUGGED to the PC. Now you will have to set you phone into DFU mode. Follow the below steps:
- Press and Hold Power and Home Button for 10 seconds. Now you can release the Power button while keep holding Home button for another 30 second.
- Now you are in DFU mode.
It is done. All you need to do now is to wait for the tool to untethred jailbreak your iOS device on iOS 5.0.1.
Update 1: If you are a Mac user and willing to untethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 and unlock your iPhone, you can follow our guide here.
Update 2: Dev-Team has released updated version of RedSn0w to 0.9.10 b3. Download link is available here. You also can use it with this guide.
Update 3: You can follow our guide here to unlock iPhone 4 with Gevey SIM.